Wednesday, December 10, 2008

emma vs. the christmas tree

In mid November I was getting really excited for Christmas, I was thinking about decorating the house, planning my Christmas cards, getting out my holiday music and wanting to make sure that Emma had a great Christmas season. Well, I got a little behind and the next thing I knew is that it was December already. The 7th came really fast so I finally removed the Christmas tree out of the box and put it upstairs in the living room. I added some lights on December 8th, and finished decorating it on the 9th.

I thought that the Christmas tree looked so beautiful sitting in the living room where we could all enjoy it throughout this month. Well, I have tried to be patient and teach Emma about what she can touch and what she can't. After chasing Emma around all day, and constantly telling her not to touch ornaments, pull the poinsettias off the tree or kiss the lights, I finally gave in and had my meltdown. I called my mom and asked her what I should do with my little sweetheart... she told me to just keep teaching her to not touch it. Well, that only lasted about 10 more minutes until I had a miraculous breakthrough. The Christmas tree has to go. I still wanted to be able to see it, so I thought what better place could it be than in my office behind glass doors. I kind of feel like a failure as a mother, but when all your nerves are shot... what else do you do? I thought that it would be better to have a child that I love and adore, rather than a Christmas tree in the living room. So with that being said... may all your holidays be merry and bright :)

6 comments:

val said...

ha. love it. how funny (but only because i totally feel your pain from personal experience). the tree looks great in your office. great photo.

Team 'Iloa said...

Funny my mom had the same advise and I also had the same melt down. I keep calling this a "Bye Year" since O is old enough and baby can't crawl yet.
Next year will be better for you but bad for us!
PS your tree is gorgeous!!!!!

Margie said...

Oh -she will learn but for the time being the tree looks nice where it is. You just have to learn to "Breath" LOVE YA!

Karol said...

Ya- I feel your pain...Jacob 3, David 1, they redecorate our tree on a daily basis. arrrgh! It was something I had eventually given in to - that, and the fact that the bottom half of my tree looks like it was decorated by a 1 and 3 year old. I keep reminding myself, "it's okay, it's okay" ;)

Merry Christmas!! Oh, and where did you run into so many of Santa's reindeer?

Anonymous said...

I had lunch with your mom and dad today. They told me about your blog and I just had to peek. What fun. You all have such cute kids. I can remember when we were those kids. Have a wonderful Christmas.

Your cousin
Jacque

Marci said...

Love it!! I am so glad that so many of us have such similar experiences and we can all relate in one way or another. I can just hear you now...Emma, NO! Emma, don't touch...EMMA!!! We have all been there and just think, maybe next year will be easier.